Dear Reader, if you like SUYB's content, feel free to comment on our blog posts.Become a guest author on Spice Up Your Blog.
There are many reasons why you should start a blog. Your hobbies or interests, such as cooking or crafting or technology, are perfect blog topics. Changes in life can inspire you to start blogging as well. One of these changes is when you leave your home country and move somewhere else. I hadn’t even considered starting a blog before I moved from Poland to the Netherlands because I considered my life boring. Then I met my husband, became an expat and had children. Suddenly, my life became exciting and chaotic. Having an expat blog turned out to be fun and exciting, but soon became more than that. Here are all the reasons why you should consider starting a travel or expat blog if you haven’t done it already.
1. Because you can stay in touch with friends and family back home : Skype calls and emails are great, but blogging gives you yet another tool to stay in touch. You can write longer updates on what is going on in your life right now, and spice it up with great pictures. Through blogging, your friends and family can read in greater detail what’s bothering you, what makes you happy or sad, what interesting places you have visited, and what you have learned from a life abroad. It’s not as good as meeting in person, but it’s close.
2. Because it can make you feel less alone : Being an expat is great but sometimes it can make you feel very lonely. You will experience culture shock, it can take a while to meet new people and sometimes it is extremely alienating. Blogging can help you with this. Through my blog, I met many great, talented and helpful people who share their advice and tips, who are going through the same experiences as me and who provide me with inspiration for my own posts.
3. Because you will experience situations worth blogging about : When you’re living abroad, you’re dealing with a whole new reality. Things get done in a different way than you’re used to. Formalities that were a breeze in your home country suddenly become a nuisance. You are a stranger, may not speak the language, and all this can be very frustrating. They say life writes the best stories, but life also writes the best blog posts. If my experiences are of any indication, the craziest stuff happens when you’re abroad. Once I had the police called on me by a local- that wouldn’t have happened in my own country! I don’t wish this experience on anybody, and usually things that happen to me are not as dramatic, but such situations are pure writing gold! In a different country, surrounded by a different culture, or maybe even several cultures, you will never run out of ideas.
4. Because you’re gaining knowledge that is worth sharing : As I was learning more about multilingualism and expat life, and intercultural communication, I begun to share what I was learning and noticing in my everyday life. This proved to be very useful to my readers who appreciated my stories and advice on all aspects of expat life. I was also learning about the Dutch language and culture, and my insights on these topics also proved to be valuable to my readers. If you’re living abroad, you can help other expats with your own advice and sharing your experiences.
5. Because it offers opportunities : I am a stay at home mom and having a blog is the closest I have to a job. However, because of my blog, I was asked to do an interview on German television, got to write articles for a popular parenting websites and was approached by several companies for giveaways and product reviews. Through blogging, I found my passion and a new hobby, met new people, and even won prizes in two writing contests. Writing for the fun of it is great, but a blog can help you find a new job, or gain new clients.
6. Because your perspective is unique : Take one situation and 10 bloggers, and you will get ten totally different blog posts. This is also the case with expat and travel blogs, especially because we come from different cultural backgrounds and speak different languages. You can offer a fresh perspective on these matters. There is always a place for new blogger in the travel and expat blogger niche. We all have different experiences, this is what makes travel and expat blogs so exciting.
7. Because it’s fun : Let’s not forget about the power of having fun. If you do something that you love, you will feel accomplished and happy. Through blogging, I found my passion and a way to do something fun. It is extremely satisfying to write articles and share my stories. If you’re an expat, it’s important to find something that interests you. Blogging was that thing for me, and maybe it will be just as much fun for you, too!
If you live abroad or travel the word, I would love to read about your experiences and I am sure that other expats and travellers will as well. And is there a better way to share your stories than a blog?
If You Enjoyed This Post Please Take 5 Seconds To Share It.